Friday, January 2, 2009

New Year - New Vision

While I say new vision, I feel I should be saying resolution, however I really don't have a good track record with these so vision it is.

My Sister-In-Law gave me an interesting book for Christmas called Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. While I have not finished reading it yet, it is quite interesting and is based on seasonal eating, set in the US. In these days of Credit crunches, talk of recession, and much more awareness of food miles and the subsequent environmental consequences, my aim for this year is to move towards being self sufficient and locally focussed. Not dramatically so, just subtle changes, with food preservation in mind, and hopefully the household budget will benefit.

I confess to being a terrible housewife, and am increasingly aware of how much wastage goes on in our kitchen, while it does get recycled to a certain extent by going to the chook house, it needs addressing.

Being a farmers wife should make this easy, lets face it, we grow our own beef, lamb, cauli, peas beans, carrots, potatoes and onions. Why is it then that I always seem to be at the butchers or Wells buying food. There is little more satisfying than when you sit down to a meal and you can claim it all comes from your property. Run the household smarter is what I have to learn how to do! Open to suggestions.

Onion lifting still progressing well, and a late planting of beans has just been sown, intended for processing at the local plant.

No comments:

Post a Comment